Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Sound of Music and Stained Paint

Drinking sometimes lowers my mental barrier from random thoughts to true mind/clarity. Combine this with music, which brings about emotion and therefore feelings, I can take a step back and for a brief moment grasp what music is offering beyond sound. Music's most simple generosity offers a feeling, a fabric of the mind… not just an emotion. Everything from our senses offers a fabric, fabric meaning something we feel with our minds, not our touch sense. Music is a memory machine, relaxation tool, and a doorway to a relationship of sound to emotion… emotion again being a combination of more fundamental feelings.

When I listen to music sometimes I am of course reminded of a past memory of emotion. As well, some music relaxes me very well without memories. Why does it seem we choose only the music that satisfies these two courses?

The avenue of music and drink offers two things for me: a relaxed thought and a relation to feeling my mind, my understanding. When listening to certain music yet focusing on something that reminds me of the music, I begin to briefly gain clarity of that something. I feel the relationship brought between the music and the past something and ask where does that relationship come from? If this is done often enough a tool is provided to understand more complex connections such as friendship, emotion, and even smell, taste, and sight.

I questioned whether alcohol is deceiving in this clarity, but one day felt the same understanding without. From then, I felt things the same way with or without alcohol. Listening to music since has never been the same.

Happy Birthday to Jordan… who apparently the drunken fireworks were set off for. Random actions under the influence provide entertainment as well as insight. Cheers to those who see entertainment and insight without influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment